Vitamin B2 is also known as riboflavin. Riboflavin is essential in energy production as FAD. It is important in the synthesis and breakdown of fats. It activates the vitamins B6 and folic acid. It is also important in the synthesis of corticosteriods, red blood cells and glycogen. It is found in Brewer's yeast, liver, meat, broccoli, dairy products, wheat germ, poultry, and whole grain products.
A deficiency of riboflavin is associated with skin problems especially around the nose, mouth, and ears. In addition, a patient may have a "smooth tongue," redness, burning and excessive tearing of the eyes, light sensitivity, anemia, personality changes and cataracts. The RDA for riboflavin is 1.3 mg. A supplemental level is suggested as 1.7 to 50 mgs. There is no toxic dose listed for riboflavin.
Specimen is 2.0 mL of washed heparinized RBCs. Collect the sample in a heparin tube. Centrifuge the tube, then wash the RBCs one time with normal saline. Protect from light and ship in amber plastic tube.
Doctors who wish to order kits, please call our lab directly to set up an account before ordering. 316-684-7784
- Gerrits J, Eidhof JW, Brunnekreeft WI, Hessels J: Determination of thiamin and thiamin phosphates in whole blood by reversed phase liquid chromatography with precolumn derivatization: Methods in enzymology, 1997. 279:74-82.
- Smith MD: Rapid method for determination of riboflavin in urine by high performance liquid chromatography. J of Chrom, 1980; 182:285-291.
- Tietz Textbook of Clinical Chemistry, 3rd Ed, 1999, Saunders Co.
- McCormick, DB.: Coenzymes, Biochemistry Of. In Encylopedia of Molecular, Molecular biology and molecular medicine. R.A. Meyers, Ed., New York, 1996. PP 390-406
- CPT CODE:
- COLLECTION CONTAINER:
- Heparin tube
- STATE & SHIPPING RESTRICTIONS:
- We cannot ship lab kits to NY, AK, HI, or international
- META DESCRIPTION:
- Vitamin B2 is also known as riboflavin. Riboflavin is essential in energy production as FAD. It is important in the synthesis and breakdown of fats. It activates the vitamins B6 and folic acid. It is also important in the synthesis of corticosteriod
- META KEYWORDS:
- Vitamin B2, Riboflavin
- MINIMUM VOLUME:
- 1.0 mL
- NORMAL VALUES:
- The normal value established in our laboratory for red blood cell vitamin B2 is 3.5 to 20 ug/L.
- PATIENT PREP:
- PROCESS METHOD:
- The methodology is a HPLC method modified and developed in our laboratory.
- PROCESS TIME:
- 5 to 7 business days
- REJECTION CAUSES:
- Gross Hemolysis
- SPECIMEN VOLUME:
- 2 mL Heparin RBC; washed 1x, light protected
- TRANSPORT CONTAINER:
- Amber plastic transport tube
- TRANSPORT INSTRUCTIONS: